Apply for the ongoing Wellcome Trust Job Recruitment 2022 via our latest job vacancies & employment portal. This Wellcome Trust job opening is available to all qualified candidates.
Wellcome is a global charitable foundation. We improve health for everyone by funding science, leading policy and advocacy campaigns, and building partnerships.
We plan to spend £16bn over the next ten years, funding new discoveries in life, health and wellbeing, and taking on three global health challenges: mental health, infectious disease and climate. These challenges need the bold research our funding supports, but they won’t be solved by science alone.
Job Title: Strategy Lead
Location: Remote, United Kingdom
Sector: Non Profit
Experience: Mid Career
Come and join our team to help us to achieve Wellcome’s vision to support science to solve the urgent health challenges facing everyone.
We are looking for a Strategy Lead to join our new team and manage a team of up to 5 people (up to 3 strategy Managers and 2 Strategy Advisers). You will be working within Wellcome’s Strategy and Programme Office and work across a wide range of internal stakeholder to develop and implement Wellcome’s new strategy. We are looking for someone who wants to play a key role shaping the strategy that will support Wellcome’s ambition.
In this role you will
- Work closely stakeholders in senior and executive leadership roles to Lead:
- Wellcome’s approach to develop strategies that look to the future and the communities it is trying to impact. Create stimulating, inclusive approaches and discussion forums for Wellcome’s teams, the ELT and BoG to gather, share and learn from these external insights. Unlock Wellcome’s potential by providing advice, challenge, independent support and thinking. Partner with Wellcome teams to identify, examine and bring resolution to cross cutting topics that will enable Wellcome to have a greater impact e.g. developing new and evolving organisational positions and processes.
- projects to address priority strategic questions for Wellcome teams. Agree scope of projects with client teams across Wellcome and ensure these projects are delivered to time and quality standards. Projects can be proposed by Senior Leadership Team (SLT) colleagues (for example, ecosystem analysis or scoping new opportunities for Research Programme teams) or Executive Leadership Team (ELT) members (for example, corporate improvement projects cutting across a number of teams), or by the Strategy team – with project requiring a ‘client team’ in Wellcome.
- And motivate an integrated, inclusive and flexible team, ensuring that people with the right range of skills and experience are recruited and retained, and that their skills and professional capabilities are maximised.
- Working with ELT members, ensure that the Strategy team is focused on highest-priority issues for Wellcome, and delivering high-value data, analysis and proposals to Wellcome teams.
- Facilitate strategy development processes across Wellcome where required (e.g. the team has recently been working with teams in Wellcome Collection to develop their new strategy). Remain up to date with strategic approaches and priorities for both international and organisations across UK
- Work with ELT and SLT to develop recommendations relating to the progress and impact of Wellcome’s organisational strategy annually and every 3-5 years (in greater depth) to inform strategic decision making, reassessment of strategic priorities and long-term resource allocation (5 year Plan) by the ELT (Executive Leadership teams) and BoG (Boards of Governors).
- Create systems and forums to support Wellcome’s ELT to scan the horizon and track external trends important to Wellcome’s overall strategy and long-term future
- Work in partnership with interdisciplinary teams (in particular Wellcome’s data insights team) across Wellcome to bring in expert research and analysis and support teams in the delivery of their strategies, ensuring they push the boundaries of what they are trying to achieve, use Wellcome’s differentiators and contribute to Wellcome’s overall unified strategy
- Identify and ensure consistent and proportional application of appropriate standards, technical methodologies and/or frameworks are used to define and deliver outcome focussed strategies for programmes of varying nature, scale and complexity – ensure those frameworks provide a structure that supports strategies that are outcome focussed, evidence based and their impact can be measured whilst being simple and flexible enough for clear communication and real world decision making.
- Bring diverse perspectives in. Engage with diverse thought leaders and apply an inclusive lens to scan the external horizon for major global trends, opportunities and alternative future scenarios that cut across Wellcome’s strategic priorities, geographic locations, areas of work and society itself which may shape its ways of working, long-term impact and direction. Incubate new ideas and strategic initiatives as needed, ensuring they are ‘mainstreamed’ in the appropriate part of Wellcome at the right time in the development process.
To be successful in this role you will have
- Substantial experience of a broad range of strategy work (such as research and analysis, idea development, scoping, options appraisals, decision making framework development, outcome definition and iteration, strategic problem solving and issue resolution and creative facilitation) in a large organisation to create significant value ; Substantial experience of working within or with scientific research organisations, with knowledge of a range of biomedical research fields.
- Experienced in leading:
- on developing strategy within a complex organisation, including working with internal and external stakeholders. Experience of working closely with and presenting to senior officials in a large organisation to set and track the impact of organisational strategy
- on and delivering corporate strategic initiatives, employing appropriate project and/or programme methodologies. Experience of managing or assuring delivery of corporate priority programmes.
- on implementing corporate change programmes, with a proven ability to take an organisation-level view of change and bring together experts with diverse skills sets to deliver for the organisation.
- a team through both line and matrix management. Proven ability to build, manage, lead and motivate a diverse team, ensuring that people with the right range of skills and experience are recruited and retained, and that their skills and professional capabilities are maximised within an inclusive work culture
- Substantial experience of bringing simplicity to complexity, setting standards and supporting flexible strategy development for major, interdisciplinary programmes in complex systems; Experience identifying, successfully rolling out and ensuring effective use of impact measurement systems to inform decision making. Experience of delivering work priorities at pace, where no direct power is held, and success is only possible by building the active support of others.
- Commercially astute and comfortable working with significant organisational risk and ambiguity. Rapid information gathering, assessment and decision making, while working across multiple stakeholders in senior leadership and executive roles, including at Board level
Closing date: Thursday 23rd of June 2022
Contract type: Permanent
To apply please upload your current CV and complete our short application form.
You can view the full job description here
We understand that our colleagues have commitments and personal interests outside of work and we strive to build a flexible working environment, in which people can perform at their best. We are currently working 2 days per week (Tuesdays and Wednesdays) from our Euston Road offices as part of a hybrid working pilot (mid-June 2022) with the remaining 3 days from home.
You can read more about the benefits we offer our employees here
Diversity and Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do
Diversity and Inclusion is a priority at Wellcome. We are committed to cultivating a fair and healthy environment, where everyone can be themselves and thrive. We are happy to discuss flexible working options for all roles. We work to ensure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible to everyone. This includes making adjustments for people who have a disability or long-term condition. If you would like us to make adjustments during the application process, please contact us at email@example.com.
How to Apply:
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
If you think this job post can be helpful to someone else, please share it on Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, LinkedIn or Pinterest using the buttons below. Thank you