Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Officer – Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Contracted Hours: 35
Contract Length: 8 Months
Reports to: MEAL Coordinator
Competency Level: 2
Number of Direct Reports: 2
Overall People Management Responsibility: 2
- The role holder will support Christian Aid’s response to the humanitarian crisis in Nigeria, ensuring MEAL activities is effectively planned for, incorporated and functioning optimally across multiple projects in the humanitarian sector.
- The role holder will assist in the development, implementation and monitoring of Christian Aid’s MEAL & Humanitarian Response, providing effective and timely support (including capacity building) to liberated communities and partner organizations, enabling them to implement the rapid, effective and principled MEAL response to emergencies, and ensuring that this is in line with Christian Aid’s country strategy and Humanitarian Standards.
- The role holder will be representing CAID in sector working groups meetings/activities and engage in the right networks, while increasing the profile of CAID Humanitarian and resilience work and its visibility in the region.
- Projects are proposed and designed with high a high-quality MEAL system in place that ensures Christian Aid humanitarian projects have a strong component of MEAL.
- Assessment, studies and other research endeavours are carried out using standard scientific methodology and approach that results in a quality works with good internal and external validity.
- Decisions on supporting projects are informed by Christian Aid’s strategy and strategic focus areas, with a strong program of institutional support and strengthening for Partners in place.
- Continuous analysis, use and dissemination of data and information that facilitates informed decision making.
- Partner and beneficiary engagement successfully led.
- Expected Travel Per Annum: Up to 75 days
- On call/unsocial hours: Choose an item.
- Surge capacity for emergency responses: Choose an item.
In order to respond to ever changing demands within the environment, Christian Aid operates within an agile framework (both in workforce and operational) that requires from all employees, a high level of responsiveness and adaptiveness to processes and structures making flexibility and a project based working approach the norm. To sustain this system, managers may/will agree further details of specific tasks and duties as part of the performance agreement. Any reasonable duty may be assigned that is consistent with the nature of the job and its level of responsibility, and employees may be required to change the focus of their role from time to time.
- The role is part of the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning department, supporting the humanitarian response to the crisis in NE Nigeria.
- The role works in tandem with fellow members of the MEAL department to support implementation of multiple projects by developing and running a MEAL system that works according to the country strategy.
- External: Build and maintain relationships with partners, donors, sector representatives and community-based stakeholders
- Internal: Build and maintain relationship with fellow MEAL staff, programme staff, Programme Managers and other Christian Aid staff.
- The role expected to make continuous decisions to support effective implementation of projects using evidence generated from MEAL activities.
- Day to day decision to ensure partner portfolio/CA projects are running effectively and higher levels decisions on supporting the projects informed by Christian Aid’s strategy and strategic focus areas. Decisions to be made also covers the scope of management of direct reports.
- Strong analytical skills, showing the ability to read complex situations and bring about information as at when due.
- Ability to read issues and bring solutions that have implications across multiple departments. Required to have an innovative way of operation in order to develop new ways of doing things to better meet program and organization goals.
Developing Self and Others:
- The role holder has responsibility for line management of 2 MEAL Assistants. Expected to be a model, ensuring a continuous coaching, motivation and building of direct reports.
- In addition, management and mentorship scope extends to partner MEAL staff and consortium team as required.
Applied Skills / Knowledge and Expertise
- A First Degree in Social Sciences or related fields
- 3 – 5 years’ experience of working in humanitarian response with local and/international partner organizations.
- Good knowledge of use and application of statistical analysis tools such Microsoft Excel, SPSS and STATA.
- Ability to use data visualization tools such as Power Bi, Tableau and GDS.
- Experience in quantitative and qualitative data analysis
- Good reporting and writing skills in English.
- She/he have at least 3 years humanitarian response experience in leading MEAL programming.
- Familiar with MEAL methods and processes in the Northeast Nigeria.
- Experienced in research and its reporting.
- Experience managing MEAL systems across multiple projects
- Ability to communicate fluently in Hausa and English language.
- Strong positive attitude and ability to manage a wide range of issues of complicated procedures, indicated by 4-5 years learning period.
Application Closing Date
3rd April, 2022.