Apply for the ongoing European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) Job Recruitment 2022 via our latest job vacancies & employment portal. This European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) job opening is available to all qualified candidates.
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development is an international financial institution founded in 1991. As a multilateral developmental investment bank, the EBRD uses investment as a tool to build market economies.
Location: London, United Kingdom
Purpose of Job
Reporting to the Head of SBI Energy Transition, the Associate is needed to support the Bank’s work on the origination, development and delivery of its Green Economy Transition (GET) activities, including the following direct responsibilities:
- Contribute to new/ongoing team work on the identification and development of corporate-sector investment projects, particularly in the space of integrated energy systems incl. renewable electricity and fuels production, transportation, storage and distribution, sustainable gas infrastructure, decarbonisation and phase-out of fossil fuelled installations;
- Complete analytical research and technical assignments at the level of individual investment projects (e.g. due diligence, risk assessment, consistency with the Bank’s policies and guidelines – in particular on Paris Agreement) and broader country/regional policy assignments (such as sectoral low carbon and climate resilient pathways, Just Transition and phase-out of fossil fuels, energy grids strengthening for an accelerated uptake of renewable energy), working in coordination with project teams and other departments;
- Contribute to the origination of innovative market and financing instruments and cooperation with external partnerships aimed at catalysing investment at scale towards economy-wide and sectoral energy transition solutions.
The Associate will be required to travel to clients’ operations across the EBRD’s region. The role will include support to business/pipeline development, client management, policy dialogue, and implementation of dedicated donor funded programmes.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Identify and review relevant data/statistical databases and indicators, market and technology reports, etc to help assessing costs/benefits and plausibility of investment opportunities under consideration by the Bank.
- Work as a team member at project level to identify and review proposed investment programmes for climate and sustainable technologies (energy efficiency, water efficiency, materials efficiency, environmental impact and waste minimisation, circular economy), contributing to all aspects of project structuring, risk assessment and execution, including supporting the operation leader. This work importantly includes contributing to the due diligence processes to ensure the proposed investments meet the Bank’s guidelines and standards, importantly on consistency with the Bank’s policies and methodologies on Paris Agreement alignment, climate risk and GET eligibility/attribution. In completing these tasks, the Associate will from time to time manage the outsourcing of consultancy assignments for the completion of specific tasks and analyses.
- Support the team’s marketing and business development efforts in energy and energy-intensive sectors and countries to build reputable market investment scoping analytical knowledge and contribute to the origination of deal opportunities.
- Under the direction of the Head of SBI Energy Transition, contribute to the related transaction due diligence processes ensuring they meet the Bank’s standards. This will also include support in monitoring project implementation with respect to the sustainable resource initiative components.
GET policy dialogue
- In cooperation with the team and relevant other departments within the Bank, work on selected policy dialogue activities in a lead and/or contributing role and/or support function with market players, national and local authorities and industry associations, to improve the investment climate and strengthen the EBRD impact in the area of energy transition and sustainable finance.
- Lead or contribute to the structuring and management of outsourced assignments for the implementation of technical and policy services in relation to the Bank’s policy activities.
- Complete market, policy and regulatory research on specific technologies and business solutions and their potential impact, as well as climate finance potential (including the use of concessional finance) on the EBRD’s Countries of Operation, applying data and information collected independently or via the Bank’s business and advisory activities.
- Create presentations and other communication materials that effectively present the analysis made to different audiences, including to the management and external audiences.
- Lead and/or support on write-ups of analytical pieces and knowledge products (incl. newsletters, infographics, digital products) for internal and external capacity building and awareness raising, particularly related to the GET themes of relevance for Energy Transition and more broadly SBI.
- The responsibilities of the Associate are designed to allow the person to progressively undertake more complex tasks and build the scope of responsibilities based on acquired experience and expertise.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Relevant degree (Master’s and/or PhD), preferably within the range (or a mix) of engineering or environmental/climate sciences, energy economics, environmental economics or finance, statistics or econometrics, climate policy, international policy on sustainable development.
- Significant professional experience over a period of at least 3-5 years and demonstrable track record of successful execution of relevant projects and activities gained from an engineering and/or consultancy organisation, a company operating in the energy, infrastructure or manufacturing sectors, a financial institution, equity fund, corporate finance firm.
- Knowledge and experience with energy technologies, markets and business practices with a very strong awareness and interest in the related issues (decarbonisation, just energy transition, energy efficiency, energy markets, carbon markets, circular economy etc.).
- Good understanding of renewable energy support schemes, and the key issues surrounding their integration into electricity markets. Good knowledge and understanding of the Paris Agreement.
- Proficient understanding in modelling and/or development and implementation of Long-Term Strategies and sectoral roadmaps is advantageous.
- Experience in managing consultants and consultancy assignments is advantageous.
- Sound understanding of business and finance principles (including notions of corporate credit analysis).
- Good understanding of climate and environmental policy analysis and policy formulation in relation to accelerated decarbonisation and climate change, resource and energy efficiency, technology transfer and just energy transition.
- Experience in emerging markets, particularly the EBRD region, is advantageous.
- Excellent computer literacy and excellent written/oral communication skills in English are essential. Knowledge of French, or Russian, or Arabic are of significant advantage.
- Ability to operate consistently within business guidelines and ethics and work sensitively in multicultural environments, building effective working relations with clients and colleagues.
- Self-motivated, ability to work to and meet tight deadlines and to plan and organise work unsupervised in a logical and efficient manner.
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in verbal and written formats, appropriate to the audience at the time and confidence in handling senior stakeholders.
- The ability to tackle issues and problems in a logical and practical manner.
- Availability for travel, when business-essential.
What is it like to work at the EBRD?
Our agile and innovative approach is what makes life at the EBRD a unique experience! You will be part of a pioneering and diverse international organisation, and use your talents to make a real difference to people’s lives and help shape the future of the regions we invest in.
The EBRD environment provides you with:
- Varied, stimulating and engaging work that gives you an opportunity to interact with a wide range of experts in the financial, political, public and private sectors across the regions we invest in;
- A working culture that embraces inclusion and celebrates diversity;
- An environment that places sustainability, equality and digital transformation at the heart of what we do.
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. As an inclusive employer, we promote flexible working.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
If you think this job post can be helpful to someone else, please share it on Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, LinkedIn or Pinterest using the buttons below. Thank you