Apply for the ongoing African Wildlife Foundation (AWF) Job Recruitment 2022 via our latest job vacancies & employment portal. This African Wildlife Foundation (AWF) job opening is available to all qualified candidates.
The African Wildlife Foundation is the leading international conservation organization focused exclusively on Africa’s wildlife and wild lands. AWF’s programs and conservation strategies are designed to protect the wildlife and wild lands of Africa and ensure a more sustainable future for Africa’s people.
Job Title: Public Relations and Corporate Communication Manager
Location: London, United Kingdom
Sector: Non Profit
Experience: Mid Career
The Communications Manager Europe plays a critical and central role as liaison between AWFEurope teams, headquarters teams, field, and country offices, and US– s/he and team are the connective tissue of the organization ensuring we present ourselves to the world – especially our priority stakeholders – as one.
Management, Cross-team Planning and Collaboration
- In collaboration with key regional program staff, and under the management of AWF’s Director, Public Relations & Corporate Communications (PR&C), prepare and manage annual European Communications plans and budget as part of AWF’s organizational PR&C plan and budget in support of the goals of Europe based teams.
- Develop and maintain close and regular contact with regional leads across Europe to understand their communications needs, deliver on those needs, and provide support and training to ensure they are equipped with the most current communications resources available across the organization.
- Manage any communication consultants and advisors e.g. H&K
- Participate as a key member of AWF’s Strategic Communications Working Group, liaising and facilitating communications between Europe, HQ, and US offices and in developing and coordinating the organizational editorial calendar and schedule of high priority thought leadership events.
- Set and deliver on key indicators to measure progress against goals on a quarterly basis
- Provide technical input related to communications plans needed for proposals and planning, including coordinating wider input of PR&CC and marketing teams as needed. Similarly, coordinate reporting input across communications functions as needed
- Liaise with M&E and knowledge management team and field teams to ensure storytelling aligns with/support the organization’s strategic goals and indicators and delivers as per donor requirements e.g. EU funded program reporting.
- Lead regular check-in meetings with all regional leads providing opportunities for sharing updates, concerns, opportunities, etc., and ensure organization-wide sharing of news.
- Develop content for communication collaterals e.g. newsletters or bulletins as required.
Strategy and Program Development
- Work closely with Director, PR&CC, and other senior managers to define, develop, and implement strategic communications plans to meet AWF’s goals in Europe.
- Support regional leads in project management, concept development, and/or launch of any major reports or other outreach material for external audiences.
- Work as part of the regional team to ensure the marketing and communications goals and key initiatives are integrated into regional plans. Leverage other marketing communications functions as much as possible for European audiences/needs and liaise with leads on marketing and communications functions across the organization to facilitate a ‘one AWF’ voice in messaging, adapting as needed to European target audiences.
- Provide input into developing youth and education strategies within the region whilst ensuring alignment with existing strategies and priorities.
Media Liaison and Relationship Development
- Work with the Media Specialist and Europe-based Directors to develop relationships with and orchestrate events for targeted local and foreign correspondents – with a special focus on countries where we have a presence for positive brand image and increased coverage of AWF’s work.
- Work with Media Specialist and Field Communications Manager, to source and pitch stories/content of relevance in the European context for European audiences.
- In partnership with the Media Specialist and Europe based Directors organize media tours and events for key spokespeople to engage with Europe-based editors and writers to build awareness of the brand
- Draft or edit press releases, op-eds, and other pieces for media as needed
- Monitor and share news and pertinent stories, with special attention to AWF’s priority countries, organizational and Europe priorities, and audiences and capitalizing on breaking stories
Training and Coaching
- With guidance from the line manager, work with AWF staff to hone presentation skills to ensure presentations at key thought leadership events, delivered to priority stakeholder audiences are compelling, on message and brand, and delivered professionally.
- Train and coach regional staff on identifying, drafting, and sharing compelling stories.
- Work with video and social teams to generate content to increase visibility and acceptance of AWF and its activities ( especially on thought leadership issues e.g. climate change).
- Assist the Media Specialist in delivering media training to the targeted regional team.
- Train all staff on crisis communications plans and talking points related to high-risk issues.
- Support line manager in organizing the quarterly review of the crisis communication plan and update as needed.
Content/Story Creation and Sharing
- Provide input and/or draft as directed clear AWF positions, key messaging and talking points including for events and strategic engagements, based on AWF’s conservation vision and strategy with special attention to the impact of communications with priority European audiences
- Facilitate the documentation of project experiences, achievements, and lessons learned and the sharing of findings with staff and partners
- Identify, share and help curate content from the field for use with media, digital media (web and social), and publishing, including video, audio, infographics, social and in support of European events and strategic engagements
- Develop and manage a system of storing and sharing stories across the organization to facilitate unified communications across all priority stakeholders.
- Working with the larger Marketing & Communications team, plan and prioritize product development for AWF, and collaborate to produce information communications products (e.g. press kits, press releases, feature articles, speeches, booklets, brochures, backgrounders, etc.)
- Organize regular all-staff program briefings – featuring program updates, highlights, and great stories. Develop other sharing mechanisms as needed.
- Work as part of the social media team to source and advise on compelling content from the field, and ID, train and support new voices and storytellers from the region, ensuring integration into larger AWF social media strategy.
Program Implementation and Reporting Support
- Coordinate with the Field Communications Manager and Europe based Directors to develop, monitor, and track donor communications obligations and deliver as required ie Facilitate coordinated communications input into donor proposals and reports
- Support in the implementation of the influencer strategy, especially as it relates to Europe.
- Build relationships with EU and German communications focal points to create coordinated messaging around AWF programming that delivers on European vision and strategy.
- Work with AWF’s Europe based teams to host or participate in various events across Europe as required
Also see: FHI 360 Job Recruitment – South Africa
- A bachelor’s degree required in journalism, communications, public relations or a closely related field; master’s preferred
- Experience of strategic communications strategy development in a European context, ideally UK, Belgium or Germany.
- At least 8 years working in the field of public relations, external relations, media relations, or related area
- Experience and knowledge of media/communications relevant networks in Brussels, Bonn /Berlin and/or London.
- Comfortable interacting with a variety of stakeholders at a variety of levels – including staff, trustees, communities, government officials, corporate representatives, youth, and partners.
- Very organized, with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple tasks, projects, and deadlines under pressure
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- An excellent listener and a diplomat, able to manage meetings efficiently
- Management and training experience
- Experience facilitating cross-functional teams
- Deep understanding of Africa conservation, wildlife and wild lands, and development concerns.
- Deep understanding of the European agenda for biodiversity and nature conservation a distinct strength
- Poise, presence, polish, and confidence in representing AWF and conservation at the highest levels, including with heads of state, heads of pan African and international organizations, and the media.
- A storyteller, and exemplary writer, editor, and proofreader
- Knowledge of German and/or French and other relevant languages is a distinct
- Experience with media or working collaboratively with media teams
- Ability and willingness to undertake travel as needed sometimes to remote and physically challenging locations
How to Apply:
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
If you think this job post can be helpful to someone else, please share it on Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, LinkedIn or Pinterest using the buttons below. Thank you