Apply for the ongoing American University Job Recruitment 2022 via our latest job vacancies & employment portal. This American University job opening is available to all qualified candidates.
Job Title: Academic Program Coordinator GGPS, USFP
Location: Washington, D.C.
Experience: Early Career / Mid Career
At American University we value open and honest inquiry, servant leadership, and the affirmation of the human dignity of all. We envision a thriving AU community where individuals of all identities and experiences are understood, appreciated, and fully included, and where equitable treatment, opportunities, and outcomes prevail.
Our diverse community of students, faculty, and staff represent every state and more than 150 countries. Our internationally recognized faculty are today’s thought leaders in the areas of public policy, law, the arts, communications, international development, and more. Our staff are innovative, service-oriented, and dedicated to moving the university towards achieving its strategic goals. We are committed to an excellent experience for all of our students, faculty and staff and share a passion for creating change through our knowledge and our work.
Learn more about American University by clicking here.
About the Department/Unit
American University’s School of International Service (SIS) is a top-10 school of international affairs located in Washington, DC. Since our founding in 1957, we have answered President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s call to prepare students of international affairs to “wage peace.” We do so because we believe the world needs leaders who are ready to serve.
At the School of International Service, we are committed to opening greater access to education and new career paths for historically underrepresented groups. We are preparing our students with the skills needed to work inclusively across difference. We are persistently identifying creative approaches to dismantling systems of racism and oppression—locally and globally—that hinder the promise of a more just world. The current historical moment requires a deeper commitment to these efforts, and our faculty, staff, students, and alumni are rising to meet this challenge, both in our school and in our field.
This position is responsible for the overall administration and support of the Global Governance, Politics & Security as well as the US Foreign Policy & National Security MA programs in the School of International Service. The Academic Program Coordinator is a staff administrator that manages program operations and executes the program strategy. The Academic Program Coordinator is responsible for ensuring the smooth functioning of the program. Under the supervision of the administrative director, the program manager designs and implements administrative procedures related to curriculum delivery and assessment, admissions and recruitment, and student academic and professional success. The Academic Program Coordinator coordinates with other offices, particularly Graduate Advising, Career Development, Academic Affairs and other MA programs, the establishment of standardized administrative procedures and practices for the program. The Academic Program Coordinator must have an excellent grasp of the school and university’s procedures and IT-systems.
The Academic Program Coordinator serves as the program’s primary point of contact for all prospective/current students and works closely with SIS Graduate Enrollment, Marketing & Communications, Academic Affairs and Graduate Advising with recruiting, course scheduling, student support, events, and special projects. They meet with admitted students and answer questions about the program and curriculum.
The Academic Program Coordinator is positioned to support program strategy. As a touch point for current and admitted students, they gather feedback about the program and the needs and interests of students. They also collect the data to improve strategic decision-making including benchmarking exercises and compiling data from the university’s various data systems and external sources.
- Working closely with Faculty Affairs, supports the adjunct and faculty hiring process. Monitor and track expenditures, process receipts, arrange for reimbursements following events and meetings, completes disbursement requests and stipends, orders supplies for the program, manage credit card use and records, track scholarship allocations. Draft course schedule and maintain course descriptions and approved concentration course lists. Promote and coordinate course scheduling with other programs.
- Use tools such as Excel, Qualtrics, Recruit and BI/ MicroStrategy to analyze program data and develop reports about course performance, course evaluations, grade distributions, student surveys, course cost reports, and program assessment etc.
- Serve as a contact point for all prospective program students; arranges visits with faculty, current students, and other resources. Directs student inquiries to appropriate resources/offices. Support student associations for each program and collect feedback from students on program-specific matters. Participates in student retention efforts.
- Provide support for key enrollment management events and functions, such as Grad Day, Open Houses, and Orientation. Assists admissions with recruiting events each year and coordinates application file review and program and faculty outreach efforts according to specific program goals. Plans and participates in symposia, community-building, guest speaker and other program specific events to promote the program.
- In coordination with SIS Communications and Marketing and Office of Graduate Enrollment, maintains accurate marketing materials, and updates the Program’s website (with adherence to AU/SIS web policies) with current events and innovative marketing text. Leverages social media to promote the program and build a network with students, alumni and faculty. Administers the program’s listserv(s) and program email accounts. Facilitate connection to alumni by developing and maintaining relationships with program alumni and inviting alumni to events.
- Collects and analyzes data for program strategic planning, serves on SIS and AU staff committees or task forces, staff program task forces as necessary.
- This position may be responsible for the supervision of Federal Work Study students and/or graduate assistants assigned to the program
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full Time/ 35 Hours (Occasional evening and weekend work will be required to support program events and activities)
- Coordinator/Analyst B
- Hybrid Work Modality
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
Preferred Education and Experience
- 4-6 years of relevant experience
- Experience in a higher educational setting
- Strong administrative experience, including project management, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Skill using Microsoft Office suite including Word, PowerPoint and Excel to develop and maintain databases, develop briefings, presentations and reports and conduct data analysis
- Exemplary time management and multi-tasking skills
- Exemplary organization skills
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills, including careful attention to accuracy and detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong team-oriented mindset
- Ability to provide high levels of customer service and exercise tact and diplomacy while interacting with student, faculty, university staff and peers on sensitive and confidential personnel matters
- Knowledge of major social media platforms and Internet research techniques
- Intercultural sensitivity and competence dealing with diverse populations required
- Ability to interact effectively with people of different cultures and work in a collaborative, multi-cultural environment
- Familiarity with survey applications (Survey Monkey/Qualtrics), data reporting systems such as Microstrategy BI and academic course management systems preferred
- Skill using CommonSpot, InDesign and/or Photoshop for web design and marketing a plus
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on the successful completion of a background check
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter along with the application
- To ensure the health and safety of our community AU requires COVID-19 vaccinations for faculty and staff. Click here
How to Apply:
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
If you think this job post can be helpful to someone else, please share it on Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, LinkedIn or Pinterest using the buttons below. Thank you